Town of Dryanovo is located in the foothills of the Central Stara Planina mountain, on the rocky plateau of “Strazhata”. It is slit by the whimsical gorges of the rivers: Yantra and Dryanovska.
The climatic conditions in the area are characterized by snowy, but mild winters and cool summers.
A brief history:
In the famous “Bacho Kiro” cave situated near the Dryanovo monastery, built in the valley of the Andaka river are discovered artifacts of human presence of more than 10 000 years, they are considered to be some of the oldest traces of life on Balkan peninsula. In the area, you can see many remains of fortresses, settlements, necropolises, objects of everyday life, tools and decorations from Thracian, Roman and Byzantine civilizations. In the VI century the Romans built a frontier fortification line of eight fortresses, of which there are remains left to these days. For the first time the name, Dryanovo was mentioned in written historical sources in 1470.The local legends say that in the twelfth century the stronghold were the generic mansions of the rulers of the Asenevtsi dynasty and an important part of the security-protective line of capital city of Tarnovgrad.
In the 19th century, Dryanovo became famous with the many good builders, as the most striking representative was Nikola Fichev, born in 1800 and remained forever in the folk memory as Usta Kolyo Ficheto. The bridges, churches and buildings built by him are preserved in central northern Bulgaria as a monument of human genius.
After the liberation of Turkish domination on the territory of the municipality emerged several large enterprises: the tobacco factory of Shishkov brothers, the Candy factory of Mutafchievi brothers, and company “Zdravina”, transformed later in the first Bulgarian railway car factory.
We recommend you to visit:
• Dryanovo Monastery “St. Archangel Michael” – for centuries is among the centers for development of Bulgarian christianity and culture and today it continues to attract tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists. The monastery is located at 800 meters from the complex “Pop Hariton”. In 1393, after downfall of Bulgaria under Ottoman rule, the monastery has razed to the ground. In its present place, the monastery was built in the 17th century. In the following centuries, the monastery grew and a new temple was erected in 1845.
• “Bacho Kiro” Cave – located 300 meters from the Dryanovo monastery “St. Archangel Michael”. The cave is a complicated labyrinth of cave galleries and tunnels, on several levels, with a total length of 3600 m. Great interest represent the “Rain Hall”, “Concert hall” and “Reception hall”. The beautiful cave formations – stalactites, stalagmites and stalactones have gotten strange shapes – “Stone flower”, “Jelly – fish”, “Lonely stalaktone”, “The Elephant”.
• “Kolyu Ficheto” Museum – Its exposition presents in an interesting way the work of the most renowned builder from Dryanovo and Bulgarian Renaissance. The projects and models of buildings and bridges built by him are impressive.The museum has a rich collection of construction tools and measuring instruments used during this period.
• “St. Nikola” Church – It is a three – nave pseudo basilica with a belfry and dome made of wood. It was built in 1851, and is the first attempt of Kolyo Ficheto to initiate his own style. Three of the icons in the iconostasis are from Stanislav Dospevski – one of the most prominent Bulgarian Renaissance artists.
• The stone bridge over the Dryanovska river, built by Kolyu Ficheto in 1861 and next to it are Duhovnikovs fountain and a huge image in honor of the master.
• The Ikonomovs house, built by Kolyu Ficheto in 1859 – Only this one and the “House with the monkey” in town of Veliko Tarnovo are preserved by the houses he has built. Today it is an art gallery and at the second floor there is a wonderful collection of icons.
• Lafchievs house is a unique architectural complex, a national monument of culture. It is the only preserved three-storey building in the traditional architectural style of the National Revival period. It’s known as “the house without nails”.
• The clock tower – built in 1778, which makes it one of the first in Bulgaria.
• “The Holy Trinity” Temple – built in 1847, famous for its exceptionally beautiful carved ceiling.
• Dryanovo Eco Trail – starts at the entrance of the “Bacho Kiro” cave and passes through the majestic rocks around the Dryanovo monastery, revealing astonishing guest views to it.
The city is situated close to:
Gabrovo – 20 km/Shipka memorial; The “Etara” Ethnographic Museum, the fortress Anevsko Kale and other cultural and historical landmarks /.
Veliko Turnovo – 24 km.
Tryavna – 17 km.
Architectural & Historical Reserve Bozhentsi-10 km.
Within a radius of 40 km, more than 35 monasteries are functioning near Dryanovo.
Entertainment venues close to the complex “Pop Hariton”:
Sport fishing base, village Lovni dol -15 km.
Horse back riding base, village Cinga – 1 km.
Cycling lane near Dryanovska river – 1 km.